5.6.11

Fashion CRISIS!

Hello there,

Not pretty sure who is actually reading my blog in this visualized world (WHAT no pictures!?), but for the few who do, I just want to share my thoughts with you. I have this blog for 5 months now, and I am still not sure what it is in particularly that I wanted to share with you. I am a reader of various different (fashion) blogs myself and I must admit that it is fairly easy to get lost in this clothing obsessed digital world of blogging. Don't get my wrong I just love to see what new outfits my fellow bloggers have bought and look good in....But now I got to an point that I am starting to get bored with looking just at yet another great outfit. What does it tell, what message do they want to bring across? " Hi, I look great, and because I own this great clothes I am great?" To my opinion it is just getting a little bit out of hand, to the point that everything is so damn materialistic. These are just my feelings now in a nutshell.
I am a fashion designer myself and that means I design collections, as an assistant or for my own label, that are going to be produced. People are going to buy the clothes. Wear them a few times and then get rid of them, because they want new ones.
I am doing this for a few years now and I am already getting so tired of this on and on going system. I don't want to re-invent myself every season and buy NEW stuff all the time. I have to do a confession with you. I have so many clothes....but I just wear 10 % of my whole wardrobe. The rest I don't fit anymore, is crinkled (I don't like to iron) and only worn once, has a stain on it, or I just simply don't feel like wearing it anymore. I am thinking about what I should do with this problem....Because I still wake up every morning with no clue what to wear.
At the age of 31 I am still looking for my own fashion-ID. I just want to develop a style that is my own, and not change it anymore. I don't want to feel that I need something new all the time. I also do not want to spent a lot of money on clothes, because I simply don't have a lot of money. Some readers mights stop reading here...But at least I admit it. I don't want to bankrupt myself to buy that one great Celine bag (I love that bag...don't get me wrong!) just to use it as a status symbol. I am not sure about this, but that is what is happening...People dress in a certain way, not for their personal expression, but as a status-symbol. I know I am getting myself in a whole different set of conversation here, but I am just lost in this fashion world. I mean, I am a designer, but in a world were everything is designed already.....what shall I do!?
I even thought about quitting my design roots and just write about fashion, or be a stylist. They seem to have so much more fun.
Putting these thoughts aside and hoping that I will get an answer on them, I am also playing with the idea of not buying any clothes anymore. If you don't feed the system of mass production, then the system will adapt to you....I am sure about this. The Fashion-System feeds the consumers with what they want. I am not sure if the consumers know what they want, because they seem to want everything everybody else is having. So thinking for them selves seem to be kinda hard. Ore they simply are not aware of this fact at all. Unawareness is such a pitty. How do you get people more aware about what they are buying? I am kinda aware of these issues, but I just don't know were to start.
Not buying anything anymore, is going to be too hard for me. I am not sure If I am up for that. And if that is the thing that I want? I think I will start with not buying anything NEW anymore, just for a while to see what will happen. I totally have to rethink my style and the way I want to present myself. As you may have notices I am talking about the consumer as if it is myself. I make this conversation very personal, because I am the designer and I am the consumer all in once. ....Keep you posted.....if you have any ideas or other comments, keep me posted! 

No comments: