26.1.11

GIVENCHY S/S11 Haute Couture




Yesterday, Givenchy held a private presentation at the Hotel Evreux on Place Vendôme in Paris. This would probably be the best way to admire the intricacy of couture pieces. The collection is influenced by Japanese history, futuristic sci-fi shapes and more precisely by the work of Kazuo Ohno, a traditional Butoh dancer.

History and future are melted into one Post-Modern unity: traditional techniques such as hand sewn crane birds are place alongside geometrical 3D embroidery; organza dresses intermingle with angular sequin appliqués. These bejewelled dresses and bolero cuts are to me so beautiful, I almost dye. I love the fading of the colors as if they are washed out. I suspect that the shoes underneath are not so flattering, and if I blink with my eye I almost don't see the hats!? But still one of my favorite collections of this time... 




No comments: